11.26.2010

music & books!

i hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving! i did. i am not a huge fan of the food (i wouldn't mind changing up the meal a bit) but i love being with my family, i love them and am so so grateful for them!
anyways... i have had this in my Post box forever and now it is time to actually post it!

Music:

Brooke Waggoner
Album: Heal for the Honey

Genre: Indie Pop / Folk
Reminds me of: Tegan & Sara meets Imogen Heap (than slowed down a bit)
Rating: MM1/2 (out of 5)
Top 3: Beaut / Live for the Sounds / ...
Favorite Lyrics: "I caught a glimpse of moon, shinning in the clearing of your eye"
i got some of Brooke's music off of Daytrotter and i loved it so i had to buy it. i decided to buy this album which is older but i love the Beaut song. i am sad to say i was a little disappointed. it actually is pretty good and the piano is wonderful but its too soft and slow for me. i can't get myself to quite grasp on to it. maybe you can though!

Telekinesis
Album: Telekinesis!

Genre: Indie Rock
Reminds me of: Phoenix
Rating: MMMM (out of 5)
Top 3: Coast of Carolina / Rust / Calling All Doctors
Favorite Lyrics: "Calling all doctors, quick come see. Somethings really wrong with little ol' me. Twitchin, twitchin, my heart his twitchin, twitchin."
The more I listen to this album the more and more I love it. like i said earlier it reminds me a lot of phoenix. its a one man bander who does pretty much everything. definitely worth listening too. if you don't like it right off try listening to it a couple more times...than you will!

Bonus:

Lydia
Album: Lydia

Genre: India Rock
Reminds me of:
Rating: MMMM (out of 5)
Top 3: Hospital, Fate, One More Day
Favorite Lyrics: "So you say that I've gone crazy, but I haven't gone crazy yet. I still have you."
i love this album and have for a while. this is a band from Arizona but i actually just read they broke up this year =(. sad. i will have to check out to see if they have more stuff out there. supposably one of the members has joined up with some members of Copeland and formed a new band. i will have to definitely check it out and let you know!



Books:

The Wedding
by Nicholas Sparks

Genre: Romantic Novel
Rating: MMMM (out of 5)
are you a Nicholas Sparks fan? if so you will love this one. it's a spin off of The Notebook. it is not a sequel but it is about Noah & Allie's daughter and her husband. most of Sparks books have a really sad part where a main person dies, blah blah blah, and i sometimes struggle with that. but there is none of that in this. it is a really good book and has some good lessons to be learned.
The Blackstone Chronicles
by John Saul

Genre: Horror/Suspense
Rating: MMMM (out of 5)
i haven't read very many horror books in my day but my friend/co-worker Bre told me i should read this. at first i wasn't quite sure...i was worried it was going to be to unrealistic. but i got hooked as i got going. it was very suspensful and it is not wise to read it at night when you are home alone =). i wasn't to sure about the ending though. it left me a little confused but definitely worth reading.

Book Club Book!!

The Giver
by Lois Lowry


Genre: Soft Science Fiction
Rating: MMMM1/2 (out of 5)
Bringing back memories of elementary school?? yep, not for me. a lot of people said they read this in elementary but i don't remember it at all. the cover looks familiar but i don't ever remember the story. i was very glad this book got chosen for book club this past month (thanks Keri!). the story is about a society that converted to 'Sameness'. nobody knows pain/emotions... everyone is the same. except for one person in the society who learns all about everything the world has know. it is a pretty good story. the end leaves you searching for more but all in all its a keeper.

No comments: